Thursday, December 6, 2007

Bet You Can't Eat Just One


I guess I thought potato chips were a quintessentially American food but it appears that they are the canvas for the expression of cultural tastes. If you are wondering what the heck I am talking about, let's discuss chips saveur poulet rôti. Yes, roasted chicken flavored chips. I've been intrigued with these since we got here and this week, I finally broke down and bought a small bag. Well, guess what. They taste exactly like the skin of the chickens roasting in the window of every boucherie in town. Frankly, I'll stick with the chicken. But again, maybe it's not that weird when you consider that some Americans like to snack on fried pork rinds. Other chip flavors readily available here are mustard (but of course!) and bolognaise. The Belgians go for spicier fare; when we were in Bruges last month, the flavors on the shelf included Heinz ketchup, paprika, pickles, and Thai sweet chili. Stay tuned and I'll be checking out the contents of the chip aisle in other locales.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails