Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Three-Star Lunch


Okay, so I think I've done a pretty good job of disabusing you of the notion that life in Paris is all high fashion, haute cuisine, and luxe everything else. As a matter of fact, lunch yesterday was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with a glass of milk. Today was another story as we cashed in on the bon voyage present given to me by my colleagues in DC: a three-course lunch at the three-star Taillevent. Three courses was really an understatement, however, since before the first course, we were greeted with gougères, little bits of puff pastry with cheese, followed by an amuse-bouche of cream soup flavored with chestnuts. Then between the main course and the dessert, there was a small cheese course. And then coffee (which always comes after, not with, your dessert) came with its own little plate of pastries.

All in all, it was a lovely experience. From the umpteen people who greeted us on our arrival (doorman, coat check lady, maitre de, waiter, bus boy....did I miss someone? so many wishes of "bonjour madame" I couldn't keep track) straight through to the offer of an additional cup of coffee, it was one big treat. The dessert itself was a beautiful little work of art. It'll be back to the ordinary tomorrow; for now, I'll just savor the after glow of paté, Vouvray,and chocolat.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails