Sunday, May 11, 2008

Delivery or Deliverance?

I had a life changing experience this week and trust me, I'm not exaggerating. A sign on the door of our corner market almost paralyzed me. Closed for renovation for six weeks?! Yes, I know. I'm supposed to be engaging in that charming European ritual of going door to the door to the greengrocer, the butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker, and all that. The plain truth of the matter is that a) doing your shopping that way costs a fortune and b) at the end of the day, you still need to go to the supermarket for toilet paper, mayonnaise, dish soap, and all manner of everyday essentials. While I've been shopping every now and then at the much larger supermarket about 4 blocks away, even with a shopping caddy on wheels, it's no picnic. The caddy holds less than you might think and it gets heavy fast.

Knowing that there would be no more running down to Franprix at the last minute for milk, a lemon, coffee, you name it, I summoned up my courage and my best French and headed to the service counter to figure out how to turn 70 euros worth of purchases into free home delivery. Oh my goodness, what a breeze. A few short questions later, I was headed into the checkout line with my stash of groceries. Two burly guys packed my groceries! I paid and walked home empty handed! An hour later, groceries were delivered to our front door! I could get used to this. Since I can pretty much spend 70 euros without sneezing, if I plan right, I see a future with no more bagging and shlepping. Praise the grocery store gods and say Hallelujah.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails