Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Picture Perfect Paris

The movers arrive today and leave Thursday: two days to pack and wrap, and one day to lower everything out the window onto a truck.  Seven hundred pounds will go by plane; the rest by sea.   I've been cleaning and sorting, selling 220 volt appliances and giving away books and clothes, baking cookies for school events scheduled for a time when I'll no longer have access to a cookie sheet, and running the washing machine virtually nonstop.  So forgive me if I don't have the energy at this moment to be clever, engaging, and informative.   I hope you like the pictures.  And we'll see what I can dish up tomorrow.

There's something about the combination of grittiness and loveliness in this scene that just says Paris to me.

This doorway, while charming, seems rather downmarket for the Medicis. But then things have been on a slide since the time of Lorenzo the Magnificent.
The back side of Sacre Coeur.  No vendors, no tourists, sweet.

This photo might have worked better as a video, capturing the slow movement of the bateau mouche to the left, the cars on the quai and the ramp moving to the right, and the pedestrians on the bridge moving in both directions.

 



 

5 comments:

debbie in toronto said...

Hi Anne...I guess you will be making do with very little if the movers are coming 24 days before you move?

picnics on the floor?...I imagine it takes alot of organization to move across the ocean..don't envy that job...

love that first picture...truly very "Paris".

Mary Kay Bosshart said...

What!? You aren't going to be clever, engaging, and informative in the middle of a move. Unbelievable! But seriously, I wish you courage, patience, and sanity while the movers are there. Reading your blog kept me sane while the movers were unpacking our things a couple of months ago, so I hope that you have something to make the next days a bit easier -- a glass of French wine, perhaps.

Good luck!

Anne said...

Debbie: We'll have some temporary furniture and pots and pans arriving Thursday. Pretty minimal but we shouldn't have to be picnicking for 3 plus weeks. Plus we still have the contents of about 10 suitcases of clothes and other junk we've held back from the packers. It's all crammed into one little room that's off limits to them so you can imagine the mess! I will post before and after.

At any rate, people tell me that packing up is an important part of the process of emotionally detaching. Your house is no longer your home, in some ways telling you that it is really time to go.

Jean(ne) in MN said...

I want to thank you for your wonderful, informative blog and photos. I have learned so much since I discovered you last year, and will miss all the interesting places you go. Any chance you would do the same for D.C.? once you are settled, that is.
Many many thanks and appreciation

Starman said...

The Medicic thing over the doorway almost looks like someone found it somewhere and added it to the building later.
We walked up to Sacre Coeur by way of the backside the first time we went.

Related Posts with Thumbnails