Monday, January 7, 2008

Commuting by Scooter


I was dropping off kids at the bus this morning when I was hit with a blogposting inspiration. The sight? A woman and three kids, each on his or her own scooter, moving swiftly into the crosswalk, across a busy Parisian street, and down the sidewalk. Scooters (and I'm talking the foot propelled razor scooter variety) are very big here in Paris and not just with the kids. It's not uncommon to see a businessman scooting along in a wool overcoat or a lady in heels hopping on for a ride, and there are plenty of kids scootering solo to and from school. No one bothers with extra padding or helmets (for that matter, no one wears bike helmets either although trust me, they should!) but I've yet to see any major wipeouts. Now that I think of it, there was one fellow back in DC whom I used to see going to and from the metro with a scooter. Maybe he got his inspiration in Paris too.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails