Friday, February 6, 2009

25 Things I Love About Paris: #3


3. Le plat du jour.

There's no getting around it. Eating out in Paris is expensive. The hole in the wall joint around the corner from my apartment stuffed all the mailboxes with a flyer for their special -- hamburger, soft drink, and coffee -- all for 16 euros. Even with the improved value lately of the dollar against the euro, that still ain't cheap.

So skip the burger and you'll never go wrong ordering the plat du jour off the blackboard. It's what's fresh and good plus it's usually a relative bargain. What's more, you might even end up learning that you like something that you would have otherwise never ordered.

3 comments:

Sigrid said...

Dear Anne, could you check your spam filter? I'm trying to send you a mail to your gmail-address, but obviously I can't get through.

Thanks!

Sigrid

Starman said...

Aside from wondering how this craze for the hamburger came about, I'm amazed at the prices charged for them.

Kimberly said...

Dear Americaine,
Thank you so much for your posted book recommendations - I have been working my way through them and love them all.

Not to dismiss today's post (I love looking a French menu boards and using Babelfish to figure out what's for lunch), have you picked a book for your French class yet? I am enchanted with the idea of Little House on the Prairie - a fascinating slice of American history. I also recommend Hemingway for easy vocabulary.

Related Posts with Thumbnails