Wednesday, March 9, 2011

It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's a...

It's a gas balloon, permanently tethered at Parc Andre Citroen in the 15th arrondissement.  And what's more, you can actually take a ride in it up 150 meters, although it won't take you wafting across the city.  And if that's not reason enough to check it out, the balloon itself changes color in relation to the city's air quality.  Green is good, pink is bad, and everything in between is just par for the course.

You don't have to be anyone special to take a ride in this balloon. Just fork over your admission (10 euros for adults during the week or 12 on holidays or weekends with reduced rates for kids).  In fact, if you're a vrai Parisien under the age of 12, your ride is free if mom or dad pays.  And it's open for business every day from 9 am until the park closes.  For all the details, go to the Web site:  Ballon Air de Paris.  Since I'm the kind of person who gets motion sick in an elevator, I cannot vouch for it personally.  But I still think it's cool.

10 comments:

Mary Kay said...

The balloon is one of the first things that caught my attention when I stepped out of the metro station Javel during a visit to look at apartments last month. Now that we live here and can see it from our living room window, I’m going to keep a close eye on if it’s green or pink.

I discovered your blog while searching for ethnic food stores in Paris and plan to buy “The Ethnic Eats Cookbook” that you mentioned in a post last year. In that same post, you mentioned having many guidebooks on your bookshelf. Which one do you give to your visitors when they set out to discover Paris? I need to buy one and was overwhelmed by the selection.

And finally, thanks for the tip about the Eau de Paris walks. My husband and I did one on Sunday and I’m planning to do another one tomorrow.

Anne said...

Mary Kay: My two favorite guidebooks for adults are the DK Eyewitness Guide (although it's not so great for restaurants) and Rick Steves. For kids, I like Open Road's Paris for Kids.

Linds said...

I have got to check this out! I don't remember seeing Orin my last visit to the park--is it a new addition?

I also love the Rick Steves guidebooks! They are excellent for figuring out what to do and see in a big city like Paris. I've heard of people carrying them everywhere, but covering them in paper or other book covers so they don't look like tourist books!

debbie in toronto said...

I remember seeing pictures of Brad, Angelina and the kids doing this

Mary Kay said...

Anne: Thanks for the guidebook recommendations. I just ordered them online and will receive them next week. I’m really looking forward to taking a break from unpacking boxes and to learning more about our new home!

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

My friend Barbara(she lives in the suburbs) and I could not go in the balloon on our visit there .. the wind was too bad .. ,,

Jeanne said...

I remember reading about the air balloon and thought I might try it next time I visit. Great post!

Starman said...

"with reduced rates for kids" I can't believe they would actually charge a kid to go up in that. C'est un scandale.

JoeinVegas said...

We have a similar balloon in Vegas now, across from the Luxor pyramid.

razzberri said...

We already have this on our "list of things to do" while in Paris at the end of April. Hopefully we'll have at least one sunny day! It looks like a great photo opportunity :D

Related Posts with Thumbnails