Friday, March 25, 2011

Spring Has Sprung

We've been having an incredible stretch of perfect weather here in Paris -- blue skies with daytime highs in the mid 60s  -- a welcome respite after the gray chill of a Parisian winter.  Yesterday, my travels took me through the Jardin du Luxembourg, where it seemed that everyone and his brother had pulled up a chair to catch some rays.  So shoot me if I passed on the garden's lovely water features and floral displays.  The people -- some who had clearly dug deep into their closets for short skirts, strappy sandals, and sunglasses -- were much more interesting.  With the glare of the sun, my camera screen was illegible.  Happily, I have a few fun snaps to share.  Regrettably, I did not get a shot of the three twentysomething women sitting next to me.  They had pastries from the bakery, a thermos full of coffee with extra tiny cups, and cigarettes.  It was as if they had relocated their favorite cafe to a vantage point overlooking the grand bassin.

This young lady is mid yawn here. Moments later, she closed her eyes and gave up on whatever she'd been reading.



This gentleman remained surprisingly focused given all the distractions.

The mother in me wanted to tell the girl in white to put that damn phone down.
Madame is elegant even in her jeans.  But then there's that cigarette.
The moment doesn't exist unless you document it.

There is a McDonald's right across the Boulevard St. Michel entrance to the gardens. Don't ever let a French person tell you that McDonald's is just for Americans. They eat it up. (Of course, I don't know whether these dudes were French or not.)

The one patch of grass available to picnickers was jam-packed.  Kind of reminded me of the Mall in Washington on the Fourth of July.


And of course, there were two beautiful stretches of grass flanking the picnic area.  When they say stay off the grass here, they mean it.





5 comments:

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

I love it there , in those gardens .. with all the chairs around , or going to find a bench. It looks so packed though , yep the sun certainly brings the people out . I so miss it over there, was meant to be coming back soon , might have to postpone it :-(

Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] said...

This makes me so excited for paris this weekend! yay!

debbie in toronto said...

My favorite place in Paris, period...thanks for taking us..that sunshine looks great

Harriet said...

Always uplipting to see a group of folks sitting on the grass taking in beautiful weather and saying hello to printemps!

Starman said...

The next to last picture emphasizes why I stay away from Parisian parks.

Related Posts with Thumbnails