Friday, July 3, 2009

Chocolate, Chocolate, and More Chocolate

Paris is the epicenter of dark chocolate and sometimes I am embarrassed to admit that while I like the stuff, let's just say it's not a passion. But this week's experience may change all that. After months of trying and failing due to scheduling problems, the kids, our house guests, and I finally went on Paris Walk's Chocolate Tour. And let me tell you, it was a hit.

Our guide Iris was full of spark and wisdom not only about the best chocolatiers in the 1st arrondissement where we spent our time but also about how chocolate is made and the many connections between chocolate and great moments in French history. We hit four different shops and tasted two different chocolate pastries and an array of bon bons. I could tell you the names of the shops but that would be poaching on Iris' intellectual property; instead, I'll just assure you that she picked some serious high-end spots that delight both the palate and the eye. My only advice: don't eat a lot of breakfast and bring plenty of water. A package of wet naps if the weather is hot and sticky like it's been this week is not a bad idea either. And don't make reservations for lunch; after this tour, you won't be interested in eating again until dinner, maybe.

2 comments:

Starman said...

I checked out the tour sites and it seems quite reasonable, as well as interesting. I'm not a big fan of dark chocolate, but it might be worth just for the history lesson. Thank you for posting this and for the link.

Pamela H said...

I may have to try that tour w/ our kids this summer. Paris Walks seems to have reasonable prices too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails