Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Leeks

I've got a hunch that the French eat more leeks than Americans but regrettably I can't find any data to prove that this is the case.  They keep popping up everywhere, especially at this time of year: in stews, tarts, and soups, served with a vinaigrette or au gratin. Searching the Internet I found many bizarre and interesting items related to leeks like the fact that while rabbits can eat leeks, they don't enjoy the flavor, that leeks are the national symbol of Wales, and that Roman emperor Nero used to eat them on certain days of the month (while abstaining from all other foods) in order to improve his voice. But whether the French eat more leeks than the rest of the world?  It's just a guess.

And for those of you who care:  it seems that the French do in fact eat more vegetables than Americans but both are falling far short of the recommended five a day.  (And amazingly, five a day is actually the recommendation in both countries.) A study at the National Cancer Institute found that Americans eat fruits 1.04 times per day (compared to 1.33 for the French) and vegetables 1.98 times per day fruits versus 2.29 for the French.

3 comments:

Ksam said...

You know, I don't think I'd ever even seen a leek before moving to France. And now they're one of my favorite vegetables!

debbie in toronto said...

the book about why french woman don't get fat is all about leeks...you are supposed to eat just leek soup for a week or something like that....

I have leeks in the fridge...lovely in all shorts of things....eat leeks

Paris Paul said...

I never tried leeks until I moved to France at 26 years old, btu I really like them.

You won't believe me, but I'm going to create a recipe called Cheese Soup. It's gonna be made with roquefort and creme fraiche, and inside it's going to have potatoes, courgettes and...Leeks.

Related Posts with Thumbnails