Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The List

A new school year is upon us, our fourth in France, and it looks pretty definite that it will be our last. I could start getting a little weepy right now but I won't. (Although all bets are off when next summer rolls around.) Instead, I'm making a list of things I want to be sure to do before we leave. Not that I can ever do ALL of Paris. But I at least want to say that I gave it a shot, that I didn't waste too much time fiddling around on Facebook when I could have been out there doing something memorable.

I actually started working on this list last year and some of the things I wrote down then have been crossed out, including a few I've shared here -- a meal at Jules Verne, the water and light show at Versailles, a visit to the factory store in Gien. But plenty remains. Here's where it stands as of this moment (in no particular order):

Attend a ballet at the Palais Garnier.

Take the candlelight tour of Vaux le Vicomte.

Explore the neighborhood around the Canal St. Martin.

Go to the Musee Delacroix.

Eat lunch at Frenchie.

Go see a play at the Comédie-Française, but read it (in French) ahead of time.

Visit (and take non flash photos) of a favorite turn of the century lithograph at the Musee d'Orsay.

Check out the hype about Spring.

Go to a concert at Sainte Chapelle.

Invest in one or two classic accessories or items of clothing that, while hopefully not screaming "Paris!", will be something I will cherish wearing for a long long time.


My kids are making their own lists and I'll do my best to honor what's on them. (Happily my husband already took them to Euro Disney.)

If you were in our shoes, what would be on your list?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Take lots of pictures. All around town, in your home, looking outside your window, your family, make memories that you can look at and enjoy for years to come.

Duchesse said...

Ohhhhhhhhh your last year! I can imagine how you must feel!

I did the candelit visit of Vaux-le-Vicomte a few years back. Magical! If I had to do it again though, I would go a little before nightfall so I could see the beautiful gardens before I tour the castle. They're not lit at all, you see.

Paris Paul said...

Drink a mojito at the Hemingway bar in the Ritz!

Btw, while the Musée d'Orsay officially forbids *any* photography at the moment, I noticed it's not strictly enforced by the security guards.

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

Yes, Paul has the photographic proof (hehe).

I noticed that you have the Musée Delacroix on your list. I was there in June and walked past it each day as I returned to my hotel on Rue Jacob. It is on my list for the next visit -- I even have a (draft) post with photos in Place Furstenberg -- aaaarg!

As I cross of "to dos" on my list, the list continues to grow with "new to dos" requiring another visit to Paris. Hummmmm..

debbie in toronto said...

I took "flash" pictures at d'Orsay but accident and I thought I was going to be arrested...jamais!

how about walk along the quais at dusk and then stand on any bridge and just drink in the lights and the water and the pure joy that is Paris....

or actually walk into Chanel ....

g said...

dear anne-
i am sad at the very thought of your daily musings not being part of my daily routine. truly SAD....i hope that does not sound too too selfish. enjoy each day and thanks for taking us on the jouney with you. always a pleasure and informative too! g

Starman said...

It's always a sad thing when one must leave Paris.

peggy anne said...

Dear Anne,

Paris is my bright spot...something i treasure, that captured my heart. leaving was the hardest thing i have ever done (but i was just a traveler, a visitor, i could not call it my home...though it has remained so and always will!) do enjoy your last moments...take me along with you...i savor each word you share...

yours truly,
peggy anne

Anonymous said...

I would spend an afternoon in the Parc des Buttes Chaumont, with camera, blanket, and journal. And I would be sure to make it out to Brittany - the far western part, not just Mont Sainte Michele. You need to experience the rocky coast and hear the bagpipes play! As an American, you would really enjoy it... those folks are practically American over there in their friendliness. And they look more like us than the "typical" Frenchman as well. [For whatever THAT'S worth...!]
Cram all you can into your remaining year and tell us ALL about it!

Unknown said...

Definitely take a stroll around the Canal! That's just next to my neighborhood. So many great cafés and restaurants and if you go when the weather is still warm and the sun is out, tons of picnickers along the canal as well!

cspatrick said...

I would skate in the Pari Roller at least once. It starts at place Raoul Dautry in front of the Gare Montparnasse at 22:00 hours every Friday night and lasts for three hours. It averages 10,000 skaters per night, upwards of 25,000 on some summer nights! It is free, or you can join the association which provides insurance for your skate. Kids are welcome as long as they are accompanied by parents. You can pretty much set your own pace – there are the guys out front who are racing, but plenty of room in the back for the slower skaters. If you haven’t seen it, go to watch once. It is amazing seeing that many skaters roll by! Volunteers in yellow vests skate along at the front and stop traffic while the skaters pass. They hold up traffic for as much as 45 minutes! Check it out: http://www.pari-roller.com/.

Laura said...

Suggestion:visit the Musée Gustave Moreau in the 9th...one of my favorites!

Harriet said...

When I was at the d'Orsay in April, absolutely no photos...and the security guards were vigilant that day!

Treasure every single day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails