Thursday, June 2, 2011

One Month and Counting

One month left.  Five years ago, if someone gave me the chance to spend a month in Paris (or London or San Francisco or many other places for that matter), I think I would have been dazzled by the offer.  One whole month.  But from this end of my Paris sojourn, one month seems vanishingly short.   And those of you who don't like seeing the countdown timer I recently added, how do you think I feel? Am I sad? A little.  Weepy?  Not yet.  Panicky?  From time to time.  Busy?  Definitely.

Many people have asked me whether I will continue blogging when I leave Paris.  I'm flattered.  Truly, it amazes me that there are people out there who read my work with their morning coffee.   I cannot thank you enough for your encouraging comments and messages of support.

But as for continuing, I can only say one thing for sure:  I won't continue to write about Paris.  At least not in the short term.  And that's because I don't want to go back to DC and be pining for Paris.  Paris was never for the long haul.  It was always a special time-limited offer, one that I've tried to make the most of. (Even when it involves ending a sentence with a preposition.)  I want to be fully invested in my DC life, however it evolves, and I don't want to be counting the days until I can go back to a reality that no longer exists. 

As for the issue of continuing to blog more generally, perhaps about reverse culture shock or  looking at the U.S. through a different lens, I'm not certain.  The experience of being an expat has given me clear boundaries when it comes to content.  What you see here is me, but it's only a slice of me.  I'm not sure the boundaries will be so easy to maintain from the other side.

So my friends, as the French say, on verra.  We will see.  Between now and then, I've got a good month of posts, some already written, others percolating, and others --- well who knows what I'll see along the way?  Stay tuned.

13 comments:

Duchesse said...

I will miss your blog, Anne! I've read every single post even though I only started following it three years ago (Gee! That long, eh?!). I'm leaving The Hague on Saturday for a month in Spain and when I will come back, you and your family will already be back in the US. It feels like the end of an era, somehow:) I hope you enjoy the month you have left in Paris and that some years down the road, you have a nice pied-à-terre in the City of Light so you can come back often and start a whole new relationship with Paris.

debbie in toronto said...

Anne..you were my first Paris blog and I don't even remember how I found you...it's been so long....

I've learned alot and read alot (from your suggestions) ...you are my first go to in the morning..got to see what Anne has to say...

like Duchess says..the end of an era...

your blog posse will miss you!!

in the meantime get out there and enjoy the beautiful weather..you will be leaving as I arrive again...we'll always have Paris!

French Girl in Seattle said...

Bonjour Anne. Unlike some of your other readers, I have only recently found your blog and have paid you regular visits. I will miss reading you. You may take the word of a French woman who moved to the United States fifteen years ago (but still returns "home" every year), your international experience has changed you in more ways than one. You will look at Washington DC and life in the US differently when you arrive. This would actually make for very interesting posts (hint, hint!)-- Bonne chance while preparing this new transition. I hope to read more of your posts in the future.
Veronique aka French Girl in Seattle
www.frenchgirlinseattle.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Anne, I only recently found your blog but it quickly became part of my morning routine. I had the pleasure of visiting Paris in 2004 and always dream of going back, even more since reading your posts. The city architecture, food and most of all the people were absolutely amazing. It was great to explore the city, even when we had no specific destination in mind.

I wish you well in your new adventures and thanks again for this slice of Paris.

Drew

Starman said...

You know from my comments, I've been reading your blog for quite a while. One thing you will always know is that you know Paris as few others.

Unknown said...

I hope you find a new angle to keep the blog going. You're a talented writer and I would hate to lose you from my reader! If you're looking for a restaurant to try before you go and haven't already, dine at Pomze. It has never disappointed anyone I've sent there!

Anonymous said...

I too recently found your blog
I too would be dazed the opportunity to spend a month in Paris, or London or any European place. I understand the fact that you don't want to be writing for a past or a future that may not exist.
Well bon chance, in DC.
.. your blog was quite insightful on the culture of a city I love.

Bigfish said...

This old Arlingtonian Francophile has enjoyed your blog immensely, but I can certainly see the rationale for not continuing it once you get back here to DC. Who wants to read another Washington blogger? ;-)

g said...

anne-like some of the other commenters, i have been with you for 3 years and have read all the posts prior to that...i shall miss your insight, honesty and humor. what shall be , will be-here's wishing you and yours all the best.

Pat's Addition said...

I've loved Paris thru your eyes. Many places I've been, but many new ones that I'd love to visit. You've had a great experience. But you'll be welcomed home to DC and I'm sure you can write about our neck of the woods just as expressively. I read DC blogs, Come across the river to Alexandria for a visit.

Peter (the other) said...

I will certainly miss the consistency: few have maintained their blogging presence with such dedication, allowing a sense of daily relationship. You wisely kept your subjects short and straight to the point, the failing of which I think may be the reason that so many of us stumble and fall along the way (I am sorry to admit I abandoned my blog in 2008). But I was most inspired by your unflagging energy, in spite of a full schedule of familial responsibilities, to get out and see and do.

Brava!

Elizabeth said...

I am also sad to see you leave. Looking forward to your thought on the other side! Maybe a book? Hint hint...

Carolyn said...

With a son in Washington, D.C., I fervently hope you will find a way to blog in your new/old (never old) life when you get back to that other great city.

I'm not aware of any great DC blogs! Hmmmm .... please! We need some and your voice and writing about it would be brilliant.

Cheering you on with the move.

Related Posts with Thumbnails