Saturday, June 25, 2011

Ten Things I Won't Miss About Paris

You've heard it all before but I'm saying it again, more than anything to remind myself that life in Paris, like life anyplace else, has its unpleasant and annoying moments.   And even the trick of  adding "in Paris" to the end of these phrases (as in "I'm sick.....in Paris, or "I just spilled coffee down the front of my favorite shirt....in Paris") doesn't make them any more enjoyable.  So without further ado, here are 10 things about Paris that I'm pretty sure I won't miss:


  • Public urination
  • Bagging groceries
  • Calcium deposits from the tap that leave a brown sheen on the kitchen sink and a film of white on anything chrome

  • Strikes
  • Cold, gray miserable weather for days on end
  • Inadequate indoor lighting
  • Sidewalks mined with dog poop


  • The three semi-inebriated clochards who hang out on my corner
  • Living in a haze of cigarette smoke
  • The white tile on my kitchen floor

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can just start to feel the aches and pains of the flu and sore throat coming on this morning so I can certainly attest to the fact that being sick is no better in Paris. Maybe it's worse. It is supposed to be a beautiful weekend here and I know I'll be stuck in with my Nyquil instead out out enjoying Paris. Boo Hoo
Self-pity aside, what is up with the public urination? I understand that it is law for cafe owners to allow people to use their facilites. I wish more people would use them! It's not the act that bothers me so much (although I'm not a fan) but the lingering smell...yuck!

Shelli said...

Hard to believe you're actually leaving. I suppose counting the negatives about living here helps and we all know there are many. But still...

Have a safe and happy re-entry.

Paulita said...

Life is never perfect, still, I'd like to add "in Paris" to the end of my sentences, or at least, "in France"

Starman said...

I know what you mean. The first few times you come to Paris, everything seems so perfect. Then you start to notice the annoying things. BTW, you left out the very annoying lack of customer service.
Oh, and bonjour de Paris, madame.

Anonymous said...

Agree on your list.... but WE will miss YOU!

Amy said...

I love the "...in Paris" addition game. I had a weekend of hating where I was and what I was doing, so it would have been fun to play it:

"My car mechanic's friend just said 'Hubba hubba!' and licked his lips at me...in Paris."

"My car was pronounced dead...in Paris."

"It's raining, again...in Paris."

"My cats barfed all over the floor...three times...in Paris."

I'd still take Paris, sorry!

Related Posts with Thumbnails