Monday, November 8, 2010

Ewwwww

Is there a garbage strike going on in Paris at the moment or not?  It's tough to say.  On the one hand, the bins on my block haven't been picked up since Thursday and the piles of refuse are growing and spilling out onto the sidewalk.   Frankly, it's a good thing the weather has turned a bit nippy or those bins from the restaurant on the corner would be pretty ripe by now. 

On the other hand, the street sweepers are still at work; the mess I was complaining about last week has been tidied up and carried away.  And my usual habit of Googling for the answer hasn't lead to any firm conclusions.  I do know that some sanitation workers are protesting retirement reforms by blocking the treatment center in Ivry sur Seine but fewer than 10 percent of all workers are involved.   Given what I've read about the situation last month in Marseille and ongoing disputes in Naples, I guess we have it pretty good.  Still, I'm going to be a much happier camper when things are back to normal.



4 comments:

Cynthia said...

Maybe that's why the recycling and grabage bins in our appt complex are overflowing!

debbie in toronto said...

enough with les greves...come on people...it's enough already

Rebecca said...

I've been wondering the same thing (and using the same Google approach, mais hélas, to no avail). I find these things generally frustrating in France (both the constant state of grève and the inability of this country to get with the 21st century and actually make use of the Interent).

Fingers crossed the trash workers are just feeling a little lazy post-Toussaint and pre-armisitice...

PigletinFrance said...

Urgghhh! That's gross! I hope they have been picked up now.

I must say though how lucky we have it in France. Parts of the UK only get their rubbish collected once every two weeks! They come for the recycle bins every week (note ONCE a week) but the rest of the waste once every two weeks! It is to encourage people to recycle more, but believe me, you had to be very careful what you ate, you didn't want fish skins or anything lying around!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails