Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Fauteuils d'Orchestre Revisited


The other night, Fauteuils d'Orchestre was on TV, a total stroke of luck since I'd been dying to see it again now that I have a few years of France under my belt.  The film, which was entitled Avenue Montaigne in its American release in 2007, takes place in and around this brasserie across the street from the Théatre des Champs Elysées and features a number of big French film stars -- Valérie Lemercier, Cécile de France, and Albert Dupontel.  There are several interlocking stories of love and regret, and a quietly satisfying happy ending.

I remembered only bits and pieces of the film so it was nice to see it again in its entirety with all the little glimpses of the surrounding neighborhood.   The first time around, I remember commenting to a friend that I was a little disappointed that it didn't show much of Paris. Honestly, I can't quite conjure up now what I was expecting.   Now having seen it again, I realize that it's all there -- twinkling Eiffel Tower, black and white attired waiters, old French pop songs, baguettes, and all.   What's more -- the French title connects beautifully with the film's message about living a good life.  But don't take my word for it -- this one's worth the price of the rental.

10 comments:

Duchesse said...

I love that movie! I only caught the end last Saturday night on French television, but I bought the DVD a few years back!:) There's something about it that is so quintessentially Parisian:)

Harriet said...

Thanks for the movie tip. Also loved putting a face to your name over at Paris Through My Lens -- http://paristhroughmylens.blogspot.com/.

Anne said...

Harriet: Darn that Virginia. Now the mystery is gone.

Emgee said...

I saw that movie a couple of months ago and the ending is indeed very satisfying. I especially love the last part with the grandmother speaking about how wonderful her life has been.

Shelli said...

I wrote about a meal there on my blog last fall :http://areweinparisyet.blogspot.com/2010/10/eating-and-exhibitions.html

We dropped in one night before Christmas and learned that the Bar was closing! There's a second restaurant around the corner and directly behind it which I think uses the same kitchen. That was to remain open but it won't have the same feeling I'm afraid.

Glad you're having some sunny days!

Shelli

Anne said...

Shelli: No sun today and rain expected tomorrow. I took this photo some time back and went by yesterday to see if I could get a better photo, maybe minus the parked car. The road is entirely ripped up and the restaurant is indeed closed. It's not exactly clear what will happen when the road work is done.

Starman said...

I've seen the film and liked it5 very much. As you stated, there's a lot of Paris in it and it's an excellent slice of life film.

Vera Marie said...

Oh dear, I'm so sad to hear that the restaurant/Bar is closing, since I didn't get over there when I was in Paris. And Anne, thanks for stopping over at A Traveler's Library, where I was also talking about this movie today.http://atravelerslibrary.com/2011/02/11/back-to-paris-with-a-french-movie/

Maria O. Russell said...

My sister Eugenia (a French citizen) tells me that the movie's director Mme. Daniele Thompson is or was married to an American. Anybody knows for sure about this? Wikipedia is not very informative. Her son Christopher (in a romantic role in the movie) is very handsome.

Marta said...

Thanks for the review, I've added it to my Netflix queue. I love movies that show parts of Paris I haven't gotten to explore on my previous trips.

Related Posts with Thumbnails